Production of 'Annie Jr.' Leaves Entertainment Journalist Wanting

Contributed by
Joshua Crenshaw

After recently attending what I hoped would be a tantalizing evening of live theatre and music at the Pinehurst Residential Care Facility on Rural Route 6, this reporter left crestfallen at the complete disregard the production of "Annie Jr." had for the dramatic form.

While the venue was delightful and the audience lively and engaged, despite the best efforts of a few post-traumatic stress cases, it was the war against good taste that had me shell-shocked.

Initially, I believed the notion of a watered down production of the musical "Annie" to be clever and refreshing. However, my optimism dimmed along with the lights in the cramped cafetorium. Apparently, as Nancy Harris-Karploski (set designer/choreographer/director) later explained to me, this production of "Annie Jr." is performed by a group of individuals, each of whom having no more intelligence than a 3rd grader.

While 8 year-old Samantha Mitchell was adorable, if somewhat forced, in the titular role, I was appalled and dismayed to find that "Daddy Warbucks" was portrayed by Danny Carlson, a local 7 year-old-- a fact that could not be disguised by dyeing his hair white and giving him a fake mustache. May I add, the character Daddy Warbucks is typically bald.

Hear that sound? That's the original script's librettist, Thomas Meehan topping out at about 7000 RPM.

As the night progressed, there were numerous highs and lows. Samantha's performance of the song "Tomorrow" was especially moving to my octogenarian seatmates, as they contemplated a tomorrow they may never know.

Ms. Mitchell performed notably, except during her and Danny's rendition of "I Don't Need Anything But You." Evidently, Samantha and Danny don't need anything but voice lessons. If you ask both myself, and retired C.P.A. Harold Leonard, the vocals were as canned as the poorly piped in music.

Although, this would not prove to be the evenings artistic nadir. That honor fell on a 2nd grader, Tracy Karploski, as Miss Hannigan. Clearly nepotism, not seen since the days of Jennifer Grey, played a role in this defiling of a beloved stage character.

As the curtain fell on the final act, ending 45-minutes of frustration and strange odors, I kept asking myself, "Why such poor usage of a proscenium thrust? Where's the denouement? Why did the actors break character when the ambulance came to take away Mrs. Johnston?"

I supposed these are questions that are only asked by a Master of Dramatic Theory who graduated at the top of his class from Liberty Bible College.

But perhaps the real value was in the smiles found in the audience. Surely this production evoked pleasant imagery of yesteryear. Nonetheless, I can't help but feel that if I was being pumped full of Lithium, I'd light up like a Christmas tree, too.


For tickets, call Steve Karploski at (610)837-9695

In lieu of flowers, please send donations to the Edna Johnston Memorial Fund at St. Luke's Episcopal Church.

No comments: